Des Moines IA F1 build

So I did all that work sharpening my antique miter saw only to realize that the jig I had made for the miter saw would not fit it. So I borrowed a power miter saw from my friend. I built the above jig so i could accurately cut diagonal cuts into my long stringers and gunwales. It worked out pretty well.

One struggle I had on my past kayak with building scarf joints is that when you clamp the two pieces together, they want to slide away as you apply more pressure. To remedy this, I drilled holes into the perpendicular faces through the joint and pounded dowels through the joint. this added stability and kept the two edges from sliding apart. The first photo is a stringer. the second is a gunwale. I decided to cut in butts into the angles to make the joint stronger. I dont know is actually the result. I also put a few dowels through the gunwales. Overall, I was pretty happy with how they turned out. they seem very strong.

Here are some photos of the curved deck beams while under glue and clamp in the forms. I have decided that I greatly despise working with Gorilla glue and will try to avoid using it again. It is messy, sticks to everything, is hard to clean, and leaves a lot of work to do in order to make the finished product look nice. On one of these laminations I clearly used too much glue. Make sure you take Brian’s advice and wax your form. I somehow missed this step and wished I had not. The curved deck beams are made out of Cedar (1) and Cypress (2 of them)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to top