I’ve built a few skin on frames before using fuselage frame construction.
Planning on making a couple W. Greenlands over the next few months using a variety of materials. I like customizing my boats so I’ll be using the plans as a guide.
Jig day took much longer than expected. Good way to sharpen the skills.
Built snowshoe jigs in the past and decided to add circle cutouts at the top of the coaming jig(s) for clamps if needed during bending. Removable dowels for wedge shapes, too. Built two unique coaming jigs with different shapes for variety.
Made 48″ steam box for kayaks and a 66 canoe after canoe updates are published this year.
Part making day took time, too. Using a circular saw, jig saw and hand saw to cut out the puzzle parts to put these kayaks together.
Scarfing the joints will be next.
Why didn’t I buy the 16ft. boards? – because scarfing is fun. (Not really.)
By adding a large “B” and “S” on the gunnels at the bow/stern with appropriate arrow orientation for forward/up helped me a few times from mixing up the ends.
Made a couple snake knot paracord handles for kayak ends. May or may not use.
Will be using the drill and chisel method for the upcoming mortises.
Doing the rib mortises by hand took over an hour, but relatively easy. Used a Forstner 1/4 bit and depth stop collar to even out the bottom of the mortises flat, which helped. The results look like a pocket knife was used to do the job. Maybe I’ll use a small ax to finish building the kayaks to complete the look.
Just finished the gunnel deck beam mortises w/o a router – not fun. Should have used a router. My mortises look like a group of hungry mice started gnawing on the gunnels looking for delicious Wisconsin cheese and when they didn’t find any, they continued gnawing on the wood as payback. The entire thing looks this way.
I think it will still float.
Laying out the deck beams…decided to avoid a common mistake and shaded in the deck beam pieces to be removed on all 5-sides. Marking that “T” for the Tenon quadrant/location and adding a directional arrow pointing forward towards the bow on each deck beam is a must, too. Video/plan combo teaching method is a great idea.
Ready to wrap Saran Wrap around the kayak and take it for a spin but it may be too soon.
Time to rib it…
Update: The day before I was about to rib it, one of the gunnel scarf joints let loose and my frame sprung open in the middle. (Sighhhhhh.) After looking at the frame for a minute in disbelief, got out the original frame spreaders, cam straps, clamps and anything else I could find to close the frame. Used a butt joint to reinforce the scarfs on the inside along with screw and glue method. Did this to both kayaks. Have to say it feels really, really strong. Better to happen now than later. Will use Brian’s scarfing technique if needed again on future boats.
Favorite new tool is the Slick Plane. It took a few tries to set it up but it works so well for rounding sharp edges.
Made second W. Greenland 2″ wider than the original. Using some old, larger keyhole coamings for the build. Not looking for a performance boat. Bracing with the foot pegs and back band should be fine.
Added a little stain color to the gunnels. These kayaks are turning more and more into a Mad Max/MacGyver beastly kind of things by the day.
Rib bending went ok. Chose not to go to store for wallpaper steamer during this time period and used the PVC pipe rib boiling method. Used an oil funnel to fill water to top. Didn’t take much. Boiled mine for around 10 min. Used a clamp to keep the pre-soaked ribs from sinking down pipe. Had to whip out the heat gun for a few ribs that dried a little out of shape. Worked great.
Added stringers and stems. Really liked the power planer for doing the ends of those stringers. Slick.
Finished the frame of one w. greenland. Super fun but wow did that take a long time! Every time I went to do something rather simple on the boat, it turned into a big production of shavings and tools all over the place. Nothing better than the smell of freshly cut cedar, though. Except maybe Starbucks mocha caffe’ coffee, or mocha and cedar combined. Cedar Mocha Caffe coffee with a hint of pine? Mmmmmm.
Removed the 6th rib for heel clearance and opted for the x-rib instead. Installed the free foot brace piece of wood greenland style. Nice.
Enlarged keyhole coaming makes entry super easy and should be comfy for legs on the lake. Finally, a chisel works well for cutting Wisconsin cheese. Cedar flavored sharp cheddar with subtle notes of leather deck lines. Mmmmm.
Another W. Greenland…v2
Deck is complete on 2″ wider 23.5″ beam of w. greenland, ready to bend ribs and get started. Again. This kayak should be easier.
Boats are skinned and ready for waterproofing…
Done. Great plans, vids and kayaks. Very sporty. Well done, Brian.
2 kayaks took around 1.5 months to build of very part-time work. Highly recommend this course!