This is the result, below the story of how this was made.
Start of the build
I started building the LPB in December 2019. Fortunately I made a greenland paddle during the summer, so I knew where to buy good wood. Due to the limited availability of time the progress of building is less than I hoped for.
Making deck beams and coaming
After sawing all the party, the first step to really make something: the deck beams.
The coaming is not an easy thing to make. I had to buy oak that was less dry. After that I could succesfully make the coaming. I used the spare part of oak immediately to make a second coaming for my next boat.
With the deck beams and the coaming ready, I can’t resist to put the spreader forms in place.
Time to make mortises and tenons and to put things together.
Following the instructions, it proved easier than I had expected. Next thing: the ribs.
(March 23, 2020) It was not easy to bend the ribs, due to the quality of the oak. Good quality for making furniture (dried oak), but not for bending ribs. At the woodstore I had to ask for ‘construction oak’, I found out. Of the first batch of ribs (the good quality oak) more than half broke. The ribs made of ‘construction oak’, significantly less dry, proved much easier to bend.
(March 29, 2020) Today I finished the frame. It really starts to look like a true kayak. Time to order the skin, scoop and other stuff to get to the next stage.
(April 11, 2020) Quite difficult in these days to find ballistic nylon skin. In the mean time I put some oil on the frame and started making a paddle.
Skinning the boat
(April 24, 2020) The ballistic nylon I ordered from www.extremtextil.de proved to be very good, a little bit elastic, but not to much. I can recommend this fabric. Meticulously following Brian’s instructions I managed to skin the boat in one day.
The next day I put the colour on it. After ironing the deck, the skin became pretty tight. A day later the skin felt really like a drum. Wondering if this is not too tight, we’ll see.
Coating the LPB
(May 3, 2020) For the coating I used Coelan, a single-component and easily applied varnish for marine use. I intended to use the two part urethane system as recommended, but unfornately skinboats.org did not respond on my order. Coelan does the job well. The first layer I made use of a small squeegee, don’t know if it what I supposed it would do, I just did. The first layer I coated the whole boat, waited for a couple of hours (night) and then I turned it over each time. In the end there were 5 layers on the bottom and three at the top. For the second layer I used a brush but that made no difference from using a roller. To get a shiny result it proved more important to use more paint.
(May 8, 2020) Now a few things were left to be done: putting the stringers on and the deck lacing. To put the stringers proved to be less easy than I expected. Could be because I used a 6 millimeter drill instead of a 1/4 inch drill. Only a difference of 0,34 millimeter, but still.
The deck lacing on the other hand was really easy. Final thing to do today was to put some Aquaseal in the holes made during skinning the boat. My tube ended filling up the front deck. For the holes at the back deck I have to find another solution: there are to many small holes, probably because I had too little overlap in the skin. Somthing to remember next time.
Some weeks ago I made a greenland paddle already, so the only thing was now to put the Thermarest seating in and get to the water.
(May 9, 2020) A Saturday morning, around 20 degrees Celsius (68F), that just an ideal situation to try the boat. Because I was used to another boat, with more primary stability, I had to get used to the boat for the first few minutes. But I also know that from other boats, that is nothing to worry about and after ten minutes I already mastered the boat well enough to go faster. Because it was one of the first really nice days this season, there was already a lot of pleasure sailing on the water. Exactly what I hoped for: many small waves on the canal that keep bouncing off the wall side. An excellent test for how the LPB behaves in the sometimes somewhat unpredictable waves. And I must say: excellent! The secondary stability is superb. The speed is also good: it took me 59 minutes to get from my workshop to the canoe association, a distance of 7.8 kilometers.
The first kilometers have been canoed, many will follow this season. And of course also practice with safety and how to roll the kayak.