I have almost finished the prep work for the stretched form of the West Greenland Kayak.
17 Nov The west system epoxy created a few problems, it makes for a slippery surface and as the clamps were attached they became hard to hold and even with the wax it stuck to the dowels .The result was still fine but I will try the polyurethane glue next time.
25 Nov 2020
Spent the weekend working on the build, I made a huge stuff up by putting the rib mortise on the wrong side, I have plugged these up and spend yesterday cutting the rib mortises and the deck mortises .
Nov 30 2020
Slow progress wedges done and most of the bevels cut .I found it helpful to draw a line on the edge of the taper to keep track .
Starting the build 5 Dec 2020
6th Dec 2020
After reading an update from Brian about the laminated deck beam I made a second beam using hard wood Walnut and Mahogany . There is only a few grams difference and a lower profile, plus very pretty. I find hardwood some much nicer to work with than the cedar.
Lower profile on nice looking timber .
In relation to the dowels I used a 1/4 inch threaded bolt in lue of a a Letter D drill. If you screw it in then strip the threads out it’s about the right size for the 1/4 inch dowel .
14 December 2020
I spent the weekend installing the deck beams took longer than I expected .
Bees wax on the dowels helps .
27 December 2020
Finally got some time to bend some ribs , managed to only break 4 ribs .I had to put several ribs back into the steamer to adjust the shape , all in all a very physical days work .